Useful information about the CUSTOMFLEX® ARTIFICIALIRIS
1. What material is the ARTIFICIALIRIS made of?
Foldable, highly biocompatible, hydrophobic silicone elastomer – exactly the same proven material as used in the HumanOptics silicone intraocular lenses, with color pigmentation and polymer fiber meshwork (optional), fully embedded within the silicone.
2. Is the ARTIFICIALIRIS an iris lens?
No, the ARTIFICIALIRIS is purely an iris implant and therefore separate from any intraocular lens.
3. How big is the ARTIFICIALIRIS?
The ARTIFICIALIRIS is delivered with a total diameter of 12.8 mm and can be cut to the required size with the help of trephines. The central, fixed pupil aperture is 3.35 mm. The central thickness is 0.4 mm; in the periphery the implant is 0.25 mm thick.
4. Can the size of the ARTIFICIALIRIS be modified?
Yes, it can be cut to the required size using trephines.
5. What is the difference between the two model variants?
The ARTIFICIALIRIS is available in two variants: ARTIFICIALIRIS Fiber Free and ARTIFICIALIRIS with Fiber.
The ARTIFICIALIRIS Fiber Free is flexible and can be implanted through incisions up to 2.5 mm. This model is particularly well suited to the treatment of aniridia in cases without indicated suture fixation. The ARTIFICIALIRIS with Fiber model has an embedded polymer mesh to increase mechanical stability (tensile strength). This implant is particularly well suited to cases with indicated suture fixation and can be implanted through incisions of approximately 3.2 mm.
6. When and where was the ARTIFICIALIRIS implanted for the first time in a human eye?
The first implantation of an ARTIFICIALIRIS was successfully performed in November 2002 by Prof. Hans-Reinhard Koch in Bonn.
7. How is the ARTIFICIALIRIS sterilized and delivered?
The ARTIFICIALIRIS is steam sterilized and delivered in a primary container filled with sterile saline and sealed. In addition to the standard labeling, the packaging is also printed with an image of the ARTIFICIALIRIS.
8. What is the average delivery time?
Because the CUSTOMFLEX® ARTIFICIALIRIS is an individually custom-made product, the delivery time is approximately 4 to 8 weeks after receipt of the complete order including the evaluated photo prints.
9. Can the ARTIFICIALIRIS be used for cosmetic color changes in the eye?
No, the ARTIFICIALIRIS is not intended for this purpose and is not for implantation in the anterior chamber in general.
10. Is the pupil size of the 3.35 mm ARTIFICIALIRIS suitable for vitreoretinal interventions?
In principle, yes. Please find further details here.
For further questions, please contact our experts from the application department directly.
This post is also available in: German
Our experts support you with your questions at any time.